- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
I quit Arsenal because I needed a new challenge, says Man Utd’s RVP
Robin van Persie says that he quit Arsenal to join Manchester United because he was searching for a "new challenge"
Robin van Persie says that he quit Arsenal to join Manchester United because he was searching for a “new challenge”.
The Dutchman has hit the ground running since his £24m move to Old Trafford, netting 22 goals in 28 appearances in all competitions so far this season.
The 29-year-old, who spent eight seasons at Arsenal, says he feels like a “kid in a sweet shop” at United as he aims to fire them to the Premier League title.
“Arsenal is a great club and I always had a really good feeling, but after eight years sometimes you feel that you need a new challenge,” said Van Persie. “I know why I went and I’m sure it’s for good reasons.
“If you look at the last couple of months, it explains it all. I’m seeing things again that I didn’t see for a long time.
“When I first came to Arsenal years ago [in 2004], I saw things from [Dennis] Bergkamp and Thierry Henry I’d never seen in my life before. Now I’m seeing those things again and that makes me really happy.
“It’s like a kid in a sweet shop. It’s like, ‘Yes, this is nice, this is good, this is having fun, this is enjoying yourself.
“All these little things added together make a big difference. It makes me feel that I’m surrounded by champions.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Martinez hails historic Lukaku signing
- Lukaku hopes to progress at Chelsea
- Twitter reacts as Everton sign Lukaku
- Photos: Arsenal train in Austria
- Scholes: Wilshere can come of age