- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Arsenal haven’t gambled on Calum Chambers, says Southampton legend
- Photos: Liverpool unveil new signing Divock Origi
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
Aston Villa transfers: Lambert confirms Weimann contract talks
Aston Villa transfers: Paul Lambert confirms the club have opened talks with striker Andreas Weimann about a new contract
Paul Lambert has revealed Aston Villa are in talks with Andreas Weimann about penning a new contract.
The 21-year-old has been one of the only positives from a dismal season for Villa, scoring nine goals in 24 appearances this term.
The Austria international has 18 months remaining on his current deal, and Lambert is keen to see the forward commit his long-term future to the club.
“For the long-term, it would be great [if Weimann signs a new contract],” said Lambert.
“I know the club and Andreas are talking at the moment so we’ll see what happens there.
“But he has played really well and his goalscoring this season has been excellent. He is without doubt a natural finisher and he’s done really, really fine.”
Meanwhile, Lambert defended his decision to drop out-of-favour duo Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton despite their unquestioned top-flight experience.
Hutton and Warnock are yet to make an appearance for the Birmingham outfit this season, with the former Rangers full-back on the brink of joining La Liga’s Real Mallorca.
“I made the decision. The club needed to be rebuilt in some way. It’s a decision I made and it’s one I go with,” said Lambert.
“It’s not being stubborn. I just know the remit of the job. I’ve got to do what I believe is right.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Drogba: Fabregas will realise it is better with Chelsea
- Heskey: Liverpool would be happy with top four
- 'Sneijder set to stay at Galatasaray'
- Liverpool unveil new signing Origi
- Origi: Mignolet says Liverpool is perfect for me