- Man Utd transfers: Seven players who could rescue the Red Devils
- ‘Cesc Fàbregas would have picked Man Utd over Chelsea’
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Photos: Robin van Persie & Wayne Rooney all smiles at Man Utd training
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal step up Khedira bid, Man Utd to sign Alonso
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid boss gives update on Sami Khedira
Aston Villa transfers: Lambert confirms Weimann contract talks
Aston Villa transfers: Paul Lambert confirms the club have opened talks with striker Andreas Weimann about a new contract
Paul Lambert has revealed Aston Villa are in talks with Andreas Weimann about penning a new contract.
The 21-year-old has been one of the only positives from a dismal season for Villa, scoring nine goals in 24 appearances this term.
The Austria international has 18 months remaining on his current deal, and Lambert is keen to see the forward commit his long-term future to the club.
“For the long-term, it would be great [if Weimann signs a new contract],” said Lambert.
“I know the club and Andreas are talking at the moment so we’ll see what happens there.
“But he has played really well and his goalscoring this season has been excellent. He is without doubt a natural finisher and he’s done really, really fine.”
Meanwhile, Lambert defended his decision to drop out-of-favour duo Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton despite their unquestioned top-flight experience.
Hutton and Warnock are yet to make an appearance for the Birmingham outfit this season, with the former Rangers full-back on the brink of joining La Liga’s Real Mallorca.
“I made the decision. The club needed to be rebuilt in some way. It’s a decision I made and it’s one I go with,” said Lambert.
“It’s not being stubborn. I just know the remit of the job. I’ve got to do what I believe is right.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Campbell: Balotelli deal too good to turn down
- Robson: Balotelli is a bad move for Liverpool
- Limassol 1 Tottenham 2: Talking points
- Limassol 1 Tottenham 2: Player ratings