- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
Aston Villa transfers: There’ll be no signings this month – Paul Lambert
Aston Villa transfers: Paul Lambert says there will be no new signings arriving at Villa Park before Thursday's transfer deadline
Paul Lambert believes Aston Villa will not make any signings before the close of the January transfer window, despite the Scotsman’s desire to strengthen his struggling squad.
Villa have endured a week to forget after being eliminated from the Capital One Cup by League Two’s Bradford City before losing to Championship side Millwall in the FA Cup on Friday.
The Birmingham outfit have lost five straight league games, conceding 18 goals, after a shock 3-1 win at Liverpool on 15 December, leaving them in 17th position.
But Lambert doubts there will be any new arrivals at the club before Thursday.
“At this minute there’s not much really happening. There’s been guys we went for who have gone to other clubs,” said Lambert.
“How many players are we short? There’s a few. But I knew the remit of the job was to rebuild. To rebuild something you have to strip it right back.
“But if you are asking me if there will be a vast amount of money available during the rest of the transfer window, there won’t be.”
Lambert also played down talk of Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton leaving Viila, while reiterating his desire to stay at the Birmingham outfit.
“There are things going on at the moment on that side of it, but Stephen and Alan are here at the minute until I hear otherwise,” said Lambert.
He added: “I can only do, or try to do my best. There’s no chance I’d walk away from it. You have to fight like anything to get up.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck