- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
Aston Villa transfers: There’ll be no signings this month – Paul Lambert
Aston Villa transfers: Paul Lambert says there will be no new signings arriving at Villa Park before Thursday's transfer deadline
Paul Lambert believes Aston Villa will not make any signings before the close of the January transfer window, despite the Scotsman’s desire to strengthen his struggling squad.
Villa have endured a week to forget after being eliminated from the Capital One Cup by League Two’s Bradford City before losing to Championship side Millwall in the FA Cup on Friday.
The Birmingham outfit have lost five straight league games, conceding 18 goals, after a shock 3-1 win at Liverpool on 15 December, leaving them in 17th position.
But Lambert doubts there will be any new arrivals at the club before Thursday.
“At this minute there’s not much really happening. There’s been guys we went for who have gone to other clubs,” said Lambert.
“How many players are we short? There’s a few. But I knew the remit of the job was to rebuild. To rebuild something you have to strip it right back.
“But if you are asking me if there will be a vast amount of money available during the rest of the transfer window, there won’t be.”
Lambert also played down talk of Stephen Warnock and Alan Hutton leaving Viila, while reiterating his desire to stay at the Birmingham outfit.
“There are things going on at the moment on that side of it, but Stephen and Alan are here at the minute until I hear otherwise,” said Lambert.
He added: “I can only do, or try to do my best. There’s no chance I’d walk away from it. You have to fight like anything to get up.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Everton sign Lukaku
- Photos: Arsenal train in Austria
- Scholes: Wilshere can come of age
- Scholes: Rooney be next Man Uatd captain
- Three reasons why Chelsea isn't right for Lukaku