- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring—but also fresh promise
- Photos: Novak Djokovic marries Jelena Ristic
- Roger Federer: fanning the flames in both victory or defeat
- US Open 2014: Li Na pulls out of Flushing Meadows
- Sampras & Agassi reminisce on old rivalry: ‘He was the best I ever played’
- Wimbledon 2014: There are no secrets to my victory, says Novak Djokovic
Australian Open 2013: Sharapova vows to bounce back from Li defeat
Australian Open 2013: World number two Maria Sharapova vows to bounce back after losing to Li Na in straight sets in the last four
Maria Sharapova has vowed to bounce back from her disappointing straight-sets semi-final defeat by Li Na at the Australian Open.
The world number two was the overwhelming favourite to reach Saturday’s final after dropping just nine games en route to reaching the last four, beating Monica Seles’ Australian Open record.
However, sixth seed Li powered to an impressive 6-2 6-2 victory over her Russian opponent in just over 90 minutes, with China’s No1 set to face the defending champion Victoria Azarenka in the final.
“No doubt [it’s disappointing], but it’s tennis,” said Sharapova.
“You lose a match and you go on to the next one. I’ve been in this position before and I’ve come through it. I’m tough.
“I’m not afraid to go out and keep working – work as hard as I can to be quicker, better, improve in these situations, and when I have another chance, I’ll take it.”
Sharapova also rubbished suggestions a relatively straightforward passage to the semi-finals ultimately worked against the second seed when she faced the in-form Li.
“I certainly can’t use that as an excuse. When I go into any match, I’m trying to win with the best score line I can. That’s my goal,” she added.
“Like I mentioned before, and I said again, if I’m tested, I have to pull through it. That’s great.
“If I win with a good scoreline, move on to the next one, try to do the same thing.
“I felt like I had my fair share of opportunities. It’s not like they weren’t there. I just couldn’t take them.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Hard road of US Open Series has familiar ring
- Li pulls out of US Open due to knee problem
- Williams going through 'difficult period'
- ATP World Tour Finals 2014: Tickets and information
- Djokovic marries his childhood sweetheart