- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Arsenal haven’t gambled on Calum Chambers, says Southampton legend
- Photos: Liverpool unveil new signing Divock Origi
Ballon d’Or 2012: Lionel Messi deserves to win – Sergio Agüero
Ballon d'Or 2012: Lionel Messi should win the award for the fourth straight year, according to Sergio Aguero
Sergio Agüero believes Lionel Messi should win the 2012 Ballon d’Or ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Andrés Iniesta.
Barcelona’s Messi could become the first man to land the prestigious award for a fourth time when the winner is announced in Zurich on Monday evening.
The 25-year-old Argentina international finished 2012 with 91 goals to his name after breaking Gerd Mueller’s 40-year-old record of having netted the most strikes in a calendar year.
And Agüero feels his compatriot deserves to win the most prestigious individual award in world football for a fourth consecutive year.
“Leo Messi should win the Ballon d’Or. For everything that he does with Barcelona and when he is with the national team, Leo [Messi] deserves this award,” Agüero told Ole.
Manchester City striker Agüero also revealed his desire to follow in the footsteps of his Argentina team-mate and win the trophy.
“I know that it is very difficult, but by doing this well I hope that one day I can win the Ballon d’Or. One always dreams of being the best player in the world,” he said.
Stay close to The Sport Review for all of the latest news from the 2012 Ballon d’Or gala in Zurich on Monday 7 January.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- 'Saints will struggle to keep Schneiderlin'
- Everton need Lukaku, says Osman
- Chambers reflects on 'whirlwind' eight months
- Van Gaal hails Man Utd's 'best win'
- 'Man Utd target Vidal is irreplaceable'