- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
Chelsea’s Ashley Cole aims to prolong career after penning new deal
Chelsea defender Ashley Cole says he can extend his career by a "few more seasons" after penning a new one-year extension
Ashley Cole believes that he can prolong his career by a “few more seasons” after the Chelsea defender signed a new one-year contract extension on Tuesday.
With Frank Lampard expected to leave on a free transfer in the summer, Cole also appeared set for a Stamford Bridge exit with just six months remaining on his Blues deal.
But the England international put pen to paper on a new deal – reported to be worth a staggering £200,000 a week – to keep him at Stamford Bridge until the summer of 2014.
“When you are going through this kind of thing, of course you always want to stay here but it was also in my mind that I could be leaving a club where I have great memories, and have enjoyed great times,” Cole told Chelsea’s website.
“I feel I have a good relationship with the people at the club and the fans and it would have been sad if I had had to leave, so I am glad I have signed for one year.
“When I joined Chelsea I just wanted to try to be successful and win trophies and as player you don’t really realise how many games you play each season.
“But to play nearly 300 [matches] in total is brilliant for me, and hopefully I’ll play some more.”
He added: “I feel fit. Everyone was always saying about my ankle in the past but it has not been an issue.
“I feel healthy and the physios at Chelsea are brilliant, they look after you and there are great facilities.
“It is a tough league and very demanding but I think I can keep going for a few more seasons yet.”
Cole has scored seven goals in 293 appearances for Chelsea after completing a switch to the Blues from Arsenal in 2006.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema
- Cech won't rule out Chelsea exit