- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
- Arsenal legend Thierry Henry talks up ‘quality’ Gedion Zelalem
- Brendan Rodgers likens Philippe Coutinho to ex-Tottenham star
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger confirms David Ospina signing
- Liverpool deliver latest Adam Lallana injury update
You don’t have a clue! Chelsea boss Benítez blasts Torres critics
Rafael Benítez defends Chelsea striker Fernando Torres after the £50m forward fails to score for the seventh game running
Rafael Benítez has once again come out in defence of Fernando Torres, labelling the Chelsea striker’s critics as “clueless”.
But despite watching the Spain striker fire another blank, Benítez insisted he was pleased with the £50m forward’s display and hit out at his detractors.
“Fernando was doing a great job,” said the Chelsea interim boss after Sunday’s win. “Afterwards, [substitute] Demba [Ba] gave us something we didn’t have before.
“These people who like to quote stats and stats, they don’t have any clue about what is going on.
“When you have one striker for a month and a half and cannot change, it’s more difficult for the striker. When you have now two strikers, you can manage.”
Chelsea, who remain in third place in the Premier League table after Sunday’s win, travel to Swansea City for the return leg of their Capital One Cup semi-final on Wednesday. The Blues were beaten 2-0 by the Swans in the first leg.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photos: Man Utd squad attempt to impress Van Gaal
- Van Gaal wants to assess Strootman
- Wenger confirms Opsina signing
- Ramsey: Arsenal inspired by World Cup heroes
- Liverpool suffer Lallana blow