- England v India: Talking points as Cook gets it right on day four
- England v India: Three talking points as Anderson & Broad star
- England v India: Three talking points as Jos Buttler impresses
- Twenty20 finals day: Rose Bowl set for showdown
- Pietersen, Vaughan & more: Twitter reacts to Tendulkar’s retirement
India v England: Cook thankful for Pietersen’s return to ODI set-up
India v England: Alastair Cook admits he is thankful for the return of Kevin Pietersen to one-day international cricket
Alastair Cook has admitted he is thankful for the return of Kevin Pietersen to England’s one-day side ahead of this month’s five-match series against India.
The South African-born batsman dramatically quit the ODIs last summer before being “reintegrated” into the England set up – in all formats – ahead of the Test series versus India before Christmas.
“It is great to have KP back in the one-day side,” Cook told Sky Sports. “I can’t speak highly enough of the way he went about things in India in the Test series.
“As a captain it is great to have a player like him back fresh and desperate to score runs for England.”
On taking up the captaincy in September, Cook immediately sought a resolution to Pietersen’s exile from the team, and thankfully for England, he returned.
In the Test tour of India before Christmas, Pietersen propelled his side to victory averaging 48.28 in the 2-1 series success and hitting a memorable 186 in Mumbai.
“That hundred in Mumbai was such an important innings that proved his worth. Hopefully his experience in these conditions, with the Indian Premier League as well, is something we can use over the next three weeks,” added Cook.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Talking points as England level series
- Talking points as Cook gets it right on day four
- Talking points as Anderson stars on day three
- Talking points as Buttler impresses on day two
- Buttler replaces Prior for third Test