- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
Gerrard: Arsenal’s Wilshere will play big part in England’s World Cup bid
England captain Steven Gerrard says Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has a big part to play in the Three Lions' World Cup bid
Steven Gerrard believes that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere will play a big part in England’s bid to win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The 21-year-old has impressed for the Gunners after returning from a series of ankle and knee injuries that kept the midfielder sidelined for 14 months.
Wilshere has just six England caps, but the Three Lions skipper backed the Arsenal youngster to become a “top player” in Roy Hodgson’s side.
“We have got some big players coming back from injury, like Jack Wilshere, who is going to play a big part,” said Gerrard.
“If you look at his game and his personality, he is another top player coming into the side and there are a batch of young players coming through and they can grow and hopefully peak before the World Cup.”
Gerrard, who made his 600th Liverpool appearance last year, also revealed that he is aiming to beat David Beckham’s record as England’s most-capped outfield player.
The 32-year-old earned his 100th cap as he captained the Three Lions to a 4-2 loss to Sweden in November, leaving him 15 behind the former Manchester United midfielder’s tally.
“My personal ambitions are to get as many caps as I can,” Gerrard added.
“I have got David Beckham’s record in my sights, so I am going to try to beat that because he is a special player.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Oxlade-Chamberlain hails Chambers's move
- Juventus confident of Vidal stay
- Van Gaal: I won't buy for the sake of it
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers