The Sport Review
Follow us on
Football transfer news

We’ll see! Liverpool’s Rodgers hints at possible signings before deadline

Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers says the Reds could make further additions before the January transfer window closes

Kieran Beckles
By    
Bet £5 and get £20 free with Paddy Power!
previous article
next article
brendan rodgers
Brendan Rodgers has signed one player during the transfer windowPhoto: Back Page Images

brendan rodgers

Brendan Rodgers says that Liverpool are still hoping to strengthen their squad before the transfer window closes on Thursday.

The 39-year-old confirmed that the Reds have been in discussions with Inter Milan over a possible deal to bring Brazil midfielder Philippe Coutinho to the Merseyside outfit.

The 18-time English champions have also been linked with a potential move for Birmingham City’s England goalkeeper Jack Butland and Blackpool forward Thomas Ince this month.

Liverpool’s second string suffered a humiliating 3-2 defeat by League One’s Oldham Athletic in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday – and Rodgers believes the upset shows that the Reds need to add more depth after signing Daniel Sturridge earlier in January.

“Yesterday highlighted that when we do change the team around, we don’t quite have that bit of depth yet,” said Rodgers.

“It was another marker in the fact that we want to develop and improve the group, and that’s something that I’m sure we’ll do over the coming windows.

“There’s no number on it but we’ll see what we can do before Thursday. If we don’t get everything done that we would want – which we won’t do, that’s the reality – I have always said that it’s going to take a few windows for us to get the squad competitive.

“If we can add another player, if not more, then great. If not, we’ll look in the summer to keep the building process going.”

Meanwhile, Liverpool defender Sebastián Coates has been linked with a return to South America amid reported interest from Brazilian side Gremio.

Rodgers admitted he wants Coates to get regular first-team action to help his development, but the Reds boss is unsure whether he can afford to lose the centre-half with Liverpool’s squad already stretched.

“We haven’t had any approaches. There’s obviously lots of speculation and lots of rumours but so far we haven’t had anything through from any club.

“I have said in the last couple of weeks that he is a player who I believe needs games and needs to go and play but obviously, I need to protect the club as well in relation to the size of the group.

“Everyone knows how small we are as a squad. It might be the best thing for Seba to go on loan, but it might not necessarily be the best thing for the club.

“There’s still a few more days to go, so we’ll assess that and take it from there.”

Bet £5 and get £20 free with Paddy Power!

◀  The Sport Review homepageNext story  ►

Join us on Facebook

Recommended next

Read more on...

Latest Premier League tickets on viagogo