- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd to sign £34m Vidal, Arsenal target Cavani
- Wenger gives latest Arsenal injury update ahead of Besiktas clash
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger refuses to rule out further signings
- Photos: Podolski and Sánchez ready for Arsenal’s European showdown
Liverpool transfers: Mourinho & Van Gaal backed Gala move – Sneijder
Liverpool transfers: Wesley Sneijder reveals he sought the advice of José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal before moving to Galatasaray
Wesley Sneijder has revealed that José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal encouraged the Dutch star to move to Galatasaray after the midfielder completed a transfer to the Turkish champions on Monday.
Sneijder, who hasn’t played since September after a contract dispute with his former club Internazionale, finally sealed a €10m (£8.4m) switch to the Türk Telekom Arena after taking over a week to mull over his future.
And the former Real Madrid star revealed that he spoke to both Mourinho and Van Gaal about moving to the Turkish Süper Lig – and both backed the switch.
“I’ve been very well briefed on all sides, very well briefed,” Sneijder told De Telegraaf.
“I called José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal because they have been key figures in my football career and I think their opinion is important.
“They both said the same thing: go!
“They gave me the final push, knowing how Turkish football is on the rise.”
And the Netherlands international says a key factor in his decision to join Galatasaray was to ensure that he is in peak shape for next year’s World Cup in Brazil.
“This is all important in view of the World Cup,” he added.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Podolski: Winning is a habit
- Almunia retires due to heart problem
- Costa and Fàbregas thrill Chelsea fans
- Zigic 'offered Arsenal contract'
- Balotelli sports Liverpool-inspired tattoo