- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
Liverpool transfers: Mourinho & Van Gaal backed Gala move – Sneijder
Liverpool transfers: Wesley Sneijder reveals he sought the advice of José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal before moving to Galatasaray
Wesley Sneijder has revealed that José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal encouraged the Dutch star to move to Galatasaray after the midfielder completed a transfer to the Turkish champions on Monday.
Sneijder, who hasn’t played since September after a contract dispute with his former club Internazionale, finally sealed a €10m (£8.4m) switch to the Türk Telekom Arena after taking over a week to mull over his future.
And the former Real Madrid star revealed that he spoke to both Mourinho and Van Gaal about moving to the Turkish Süper Lig – and both backed the switch.
“I’ve been very well briefed on all sides, very well briefed,” Sneijder told De Telegraaf.
“I called José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal because they have been key figures in my football career and I think their opinion is important.
“They both said the same thing: go!
“They gave me the final push, knowing how Turkish football is on the rise.”
And the Netherlands international says a key factor in his decision to join Galatasaray was to ensure that he is in peak shape for next year’s World Cup in Brazil.
“This is all important in view of the World Cup,” he added.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool unveil new signing Origi
- Origi: Mignolet says Liverpool is perfect for me
- Rodgers: Origi one of world's brightest talents
- Origi vows to 'maximise' Liverpool chance
- Photos: Man Utd squad meet tennis stars