- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
Liverpool transfers: Mourinho & Van Gaal backed Gala move – Sneijder
Liverpool transfers: Wesley Sneijder reveals he sought the advice of José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal before moving to Galatasaray
Wesley Sneijder has revealed that José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal encouraged the Dutch star to move to Galatasaray after the midfielder completed a transfer to the Turkish champions on Monday.
Sneijder, who hasn’t played since September after a contract dispute with his former club Internazionale, finally sealed a €10m (£8.4m) switch to the Türk Telekom Arena after taking over a week to mull over his future.
And the former Real Madrid star revealed that he spoke to both Mourinho and Van Gaal about moving to the Turkish Süper Lig – and both backed the switch.
“I’ve been very well briefed on all sides, very well briefed,” Sneijder told De Telegraaf.
“I called José Mourinho and Louis van Gaal because they have been key figures in my football career and I think their opinion is important.
“They both said the same thing: go!
“They gave me the final push, knowing how Turkish football is on the rise.”
And the Netherlands international says a key factor in his decision to join Galatasaray was to ensure that he is in peak shape for next year’s World Cup in Brazil.
“This is all important in view of the World Cup,” he added.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck