- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Rooney, Lineker & more: Twitter reacts as Di Maria completes Man Utd move
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
Liverpool transfers: ‘Pepe Reina would be ideal goalkeeper for Barça’
Liverpool transfers: Miguel Reina believes his son Pepe would be the "ideal goalkeeper" to succeed Victor Valdes at Barcelona
The Reds shot-stopper has been linked with a move away from Anfield this season after an indifferent start to the campaign under new manager Brendan Rodgers.
The Northern Irishman was reported to be weighing up a move for Birmingham City’s highly-rated Jack Butland as a long-term replacement for Reina.
With Barcelona’s Victor Valdes hinting that he may not extend his contract at Camp Nou beyond the summer of 2014, Reina has been touted as a potential successor.
And Miguel Reina, who played for Barça between 1966 and 1973, backed his son’s possible move to the La Liga leaders.
“Pepe has shown to everyone how good a goalkeeper he is,” said Miguel.
“Right now, he’s at the height of his career. And he’d be the ideal goalkeeper for Barcelona.”
Reina has kept 167 clean sheets in 379 appearances for Liverpool after completing a move to the Merseyside outfit from Villarreal in 2005.
Despite reports linking the Reds with Butland, Rodgers reiterated his desire to keep hold of the club’s Spanish goalkeeper in December.
“I don’t like to talk about speculation as I know in my time at Liverpool the names we have been linked with has been incredible,” Rodgers said.
“We have been linked with lots of goalkeepers. I have two very good goalkeepers – Pepe Reina and Brad Jones, who is a very loyal and capable number two.
“Any areas we look to improve will be elsewhere.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Wenger open to further Arsenal signings
- Giroud ruled out until December
- PHOTOS: Sánchez fires Arsenal into group stage
- Man Utd are a joke! Carragher makes Twitter dig