The Premier League champions have been linked with a move to sign Edinson Cavani, who scored a hat-trick in a 4-1 victory over Roma on Sunday, with the Citizens reportedly keen to see Balotelli return to Serie A.
The Italy international was the centre of yet another controversy after pictures emerged of Roberto Mancini clashing with the former Internazionale forward on the City training ground.
De Laurentiis is keen to keep Cavani at the Naples outfit beyond the January transfer window, and the Napoli president admitted he would like to sign Balotelli as a striker partner for the Uruguayan.
“City are considering letting Balotelli go so they can move for Cavani? I would prefer to see Balotelli playing with Cavani here at Napoli,” De Laurentiis told Gazzetta.it.
“Teams tend to hold onto their best players in January. You take a big risk making big investments now.”
After the training ground clash between Balotelli and Mancini last week, the City manager reiterated his desire to keep his compatriot at the Eastlands outfit.
“I will give him another 100 chances if I think it’s possible he can change. I give him another chance, sure, because he is 22 and he can make a mistake,” said Mancini.
MORE: Latest Man Utd news
MORE: Latest Arsenal news
MORE: The latest football news