- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
- ‘Rene Meulensteen return would be great news for Man Utd’
Man Utd transfers: Peter Schmeichel backs Wilfried Zaha swoop
Man Utd transfers: Peter Schmeichel backs Man Utd's move for Crystal Palace's Wilfried Zaha, with the forward set for a medical
Peter Schmeichel has backed Manchester United’s bid to sign Crystal Palace youngster Wilfried Zaha.
Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be close to completing a swoop for the 20-year-old, who is expected to undergo a medical at United within the next 48 hours ahead of a £15m move.
Zaha is reported to have agreed a five-and-a-half year deal with the Red Devils, but will be loaned back to Palace to help their bid to secure promotion to the Premier League.
Schmeichel believes the England international would be a special signing for United, praising Ferguson’s desire to safeguard the club’s long-term future at the top of the English game.
“It just shows you what this club is all about – we look into the future,” the former United goalkeeper told BBC Radio Manchester.
“This is something Sir Alex has done ever since he came here. My understanding is if he signs he’s going to be loaned straight back so he won’t have any kind of impact on this season.
“But whenever there is a talented, special player out there, I think we are the kind of football club that needs to go out there and try and grab that talent.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTO: Suárez gives Gerrard signed Barcelona shirt
- 'Falcao would have slotted in Arsenal side'
- Twitter reacts to reports Falcao will join Man Utd
- Balotelli tell Sturridge to brush up his dancing
- 'Falcao will give Man Utd wonderful lift'