- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Man Utd’s Ferguson impressed by Michael Carrick’s admission of fault
Sir Alex Ferguson says he was impressed by Michael Carrick's admission that Southampton's goal was his fault
Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Michael Carrick after the midfielder accepted the blame for Jay Rodriguez’s goal as Manchester United were 2-1 winners against Southampton.
The Saints took the lead in the third minute when Carrick’s poor back pass allowed Rodriguez to intercept and finish past the stranded David De Gea.
“Michael’s pass-back was a bit soft and Michael held his hand up – its great to see that, honest players like Michael saying ‘Sorry boss, sorry lads’. It’s great,” said Ferguson.
United were far from convincing in the second half as Rickie Lambert and Jay Rodriguez both tested De Gea with free-kick efforts.
“It is clear to me that any free-kick near to the box, or a corner, presents a goalscoring opportunity,” he said.
“That doesn’t happen as much in the Spanish league.
“Also, the goalkeeper in Spain is a bit more protected than here. That makes their job here a lot harder.”
Meanwhile, Ferguson believes United’s victory could prove vital in the Premier League title race after a dogged Red Devils display saw off plucky Southampton.
“In the second half Southampton produced the best performance anyone has done here this season,” he added.
“They pushed right on top of us and didn’t give us time to settle.
“But my experience of this club, when you are going for championships, is that there are always games where you can say we were a bit lucky. This was one of those nights.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place
- Rooney thrilled by Falcao arrival
- Özil marks anniversary of Arsenal move
- Kagawa and Liverpool legend seal German moves