- England v India: Tickets available for third Test match
- England v India: Stuart Broad frustrated with unfavourable wicket
- Stuart Broad thought James Anderson was on course for maiden Test 100
- England v India: Jos Buttler replaces Matt Prior for third Test
- Ashes 2013: England recall Taylor, Panesar & Tremlett for third Test
New Zealand v England: Graham Gooch named Test batting coach
New Zealand v England: England name Graham Gooch as Test batting coach ahead of the three-match series against the Kiwis
England have named Graham Gooch as Test batting coach, while Graham Thorpe will oversee the limited-overs batsmen in New Zealand next month.
Incumbent batting coach Graham Gooch will remain in charge of England Test batsman as the ECB continue to divide responsibilities in a bid to keep the set-up fresh.
This decision comes two months after England announced Andy Flower would become overall Team Director, with Ashley Giles overseeing the limited-overs sides – to ease the strain on the Zimbabwean.
ECB Managing Director Hugh Morris insisted Thorpe’s position would be reviewed after New Zealand but after the success the former England batsman has had with the Lions, it seems likely it will be a full-time appointment.
“Graham Gooch is going to focus now on Test cricket and preparing batsmen for Test matches,” said Morris.
“You saw before Christmas leading into the Test series against India that the work behind the scenes that Graham had done made a real change to the way we played spin bowling.
“We’ve got back to back Ashes coming up, a five Test series. It’s an enormous amount of very high profile Test cricket coming up and Graham will be focusing his attention on working one on one with our Test players.
Mark Ramprakash will replace Thorpe as Lions coach for their tour of Australia in February.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Buttler replaces Prior for third Test
- England v India: Tickets available
- Cook 'desperate' to end poor form
- Agnew: Deep concerns about England form
- Broad backed Anderson for century