- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
Newcastle transfers: ‘Coloccini won’t be joining San Lorenzo in January’
Newcastle transfers: San Lorenzo confirm they will not be signing Magpies captain Fabricio Coloccini this month
Fabricio Coloccini will not be moving to San Lorenzo from Newcastle United during the January transfer window, the Argentinian club have confirmed.
The Magpies captain has made known his desire to quit St James’ Park and return to his native Argentina, citing personal reasons.
Alan Pardew has reiterated his intent to keep the former Deportivo La Coruna centre-half at Newcastle, and it now appears Coloccini won’t be returning to San Lorenzo this month.
A statement from the South American club read: “Finally, after long negotiations, we announce that Fabricio Coloccini will not join the squad of San
“It was not possible to release the Newcastle player for this month and therefore the club will look for another alternative to strengthen the defence.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Coloccini’s father, who is a youth coach at San Lorenzo, spoke of his son’s desperation to return to his former club.
“Fabricio is very anxious, he wants a resolution,” he explained.
“I think that it’s the moment for him to return to San Lorenzo. We want him to come back.
“In the last few hours, Newcastle have bought a defender but that means nothing because they were looking for an option in that position anyway.
“At Newcastle they are telling him to wait until May but the thing is that I don’t know if San Lorenzo are going to be able to wait until then.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck