- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
Newcastle transfers: Gouffran has important role to play, says Pardew
Newcastle transfers: Alan Pardew backs the Magpies' new signing Yoan Gouffran to play an important role at St James' Park
Alan Pardew has backed Newcastle United’s latest signing Yoan Gouffran to play an important role in helping the Magpies recover from a disastrous start to the season.
The 26-year-old striker has joined from Bordeaux for an undisclosed fee, signing a four-and-a-half year deal at St James’ Park.
The former France Under-21 international is Newcastle’s second signing of the week after the Magpies completed a swoop for defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa on Tuesday, and Pardew is confident Gouffran will prove a valuable addition.
“Yoan comes to the Club with a great pedigree and, like the other signings we have made this month, is a player who will add considerable strength to our squad,” Pardew told Newcastle’s website.
“I liked the look of him when we played Bordeaux at St. James’ Park earlier this season; pacy, direct and intelligent and those are qualities I like in a footballer.
“I am sure he will quickly adapt to the rigours and intensity of the Premier League and play an important role for us for the remainder of the season.”
Meanwhile Gouffran, who scored 40 goals in 179 appearances for Bordeaux, is relishing a new challenge in the Premier League.
“I am really proud to have joined this fantastic club,” Gouffran added.
“Throughout the last few years I have enjoyed every moment of my time at Bordeaux but all good things must come to an end and it was time for a new challenge.
“And the challenge of playing for one of the most famous teams in England, with all of its history and its famous support, is very exciting.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema