- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
QPR veteran Shaun Derry signs one-year contract extension
Queens Park Rangers midfielder Shaun Derry signs a one-year extension at the club to keep him at Loftus Road until 2014
Shaun Derry has signed a one-year contract extension at Queens Park Rangers to keep the midfielder at Loftus Road until the summer of 2014.
The 35-year-old was out of favour under former Hoops manager Mark Hughes after the arrivals of Esteban Granero and Park Ji-Sung edged him down the pecking order.
But Derry has been reinstated into the QPR starting line-up under Harry Redknapp as the new manager bids to add more steel to his midfield.
“Harry’s got everyone believing again,” Derry told QPR’s website.
“There’s a togetherness about us now. The team spirit – which comes through runs like this – is improving all the time.
“We’re all coming together at the moment. We’re showing that togetherness that is required.”
Derry has made 91 appearances for QPR after completing a free transfer to Loftus Road from Crystal Palace in 2010, scoring his first league goal for the club in a 3-2 win against Liverpool earlier this year.
And the veteran has set a target of making a century of appearances for the Hoops before his new deal expires in 2014.
“I’m determined to hit that landmark figure. That will be a fantastic achievement,” he added.
“People who have followed me throughout my career will notice that I’ve moved on every two or three years, but when you hit that 100 game mark it’s a fantastic milestone.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck