- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd to sign £34m Vidal, Arsenal target Cavani
- Wenger gives latest Arsenal injury update ahead of Besiktas clash
- Photos: Podolski and Sánchez ready for Arsenal’s European showdown
- Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger refuses to rule out further signings
- Photos: Man Utd unveil new £59.7m signing Angel Di Maria
Roberto Di Matteo thanks Chelsea fans after ‘fantastic’ spell
Roberto Di Matteo has thanked Chelsea's fans for their support during his short but intense time in charge of the Blues
Roberto Di Matteo has paid tribute to the Chelsea faithful for their support during his short-lived spell in charge of the Blues.
The Italian, who guided the west Londoners to their first-ever Champions League triumph last May as well as the FA Cup, was sacked by Roman Abramovich in November and immediately replaced by new interim boss Rafael Benítez.
Di Matteo says he will keep fond memories of his time at the Stamford Bridge helm but admits he was working “18 hours a day” during his intense reign.
“I had three fantastic months on the Chelsea bench [at the end of last season], but also tough, as we worked up to 18 hours a day to achieve our results,” Di Matteo told the London Evening Standard.
“I was pleased to hear the fans cheer my name after I left. It was love at first sight with the supporters the moment I arrived in London and I am sure that love will continue over the years.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Eto'o thanks Mourinho for Premier League chance
- Van Gaal: Di Maria can be like Robben
- Twitter reacts as Dawson joins Hull
- Aldridge: Balotelli can be a Liverpool icon
- Giroud big blow for Arsenal, says England legend