- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd make double bid, Arsenal to sign Carvalho
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Divock Origi explains why he picked Liverpool over Tottenham Hotspur
- Real Madrid didn’t appreciate Angel di Maria, says Man Utd signing’s father
‘Ferguson consulted Man Utd’s senior players about Van Persie signing’
Manchester United coach Rene Meulensteen reveals Sir Alex Ferguson consulted his senior players about Robin van Persie
Sir Alex Ferguson consulted with his senior Manchester United players before signing Robin van Persie in the summer, Red Devils coach Rene Meulensteen has revealed.
Meulensteen said that Ferguson spoke with veterans Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes to get their take on the Dutchman’s possible arrival – and the effect it might have on the dressing room.
“The players at United never saw Robin as an intruder,” said Meulensteen. “The boss and I tested that before we made a move for him. We dropped Robin’s name with Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs.
“We said to them, ‘What would you think if Robin van Persie comes here?’ They both said the same thing. They both thought it would be outrageous if Robin came to United – and later so did all the other players.
“The reason we discussed it with Ryan and Paul is because they stand for the culture of Manchester United in the dressing room. They keep that culture and protect it.”
Meuelensteen believes Van Persie’s arrival has brought a sense of invincibility to United, with the 19-time English champions seven points clear at the top of the table.
“Robin is an absolute professional. He’s a fantastic trainer and he delivers on the pitch,” added Meulensteen.
“That creates a security for players. They feel nothing bad can happen to them because we have got Robin van Persie. We really missed that kind of influence last season.
“He gives the team an invincible feeling. They think ‘We’ve got Van Persie. With him we are always going to score. We can always give him the ball and he will always do something magical with it’.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Pochettino: I've always had faith in Kane
- Twitter reacts as Liverpool draw Real Madrid
- Liverpool 'pleased' with Champions League draw
- Arsenal handed Cerci boost
- PHOTOS: Kane impresses as Spurs beat Limassol