- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Photos: Jack Wilshere turns photographer for Arsenal training
- Cahill & more: Twitter reacts as Lukaku swaps Chelsea for Everton
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal get Khedira boost, Man Utd offered Mertens
- Barkley, Neville & more: Twitter reacts as Chelsea man nears Everton move
Tottenham transfers: Spurs locked in talks over early Lewis Holtby release
Tottenham transfers: Schalke general manager insists the club will not let Lewis Holtby join Spurs early on the cheap
Tottenham will have to offer Schalke a significant transfer fee if they are to convince the German club to let Lewis Holtby complete a move to White Hart Lane this month.
Holtby has already agreed to join Spurs in the summer but the north Londoners are keen to push through a deal to bring the 22-year-old to the club early in the wake of Sandro’s season-ending knee injury.
However, the German club’s general manager Horst Heldt insists that the Bundesliga outfit have no intention of letting the midfielder leave on the cheap.
“We are in intensive talks, but Lewis is a young Germany international with the quality that goes with it and you don’t just give somebody like that away for a bargain price,” Heldt told dpa.
Holtby has made 75 appearances for Schalke, scoring 11 times, and has earned three caps for the senior German national side.
Speaking after agreeing to join Spurs earlier this month, Holtby said: “[Tottenham] are not a small club and have an insanely good manager.
“I simply had to take the offer from Tottenham. New things don’t scare me, they excite me. In my opinion Tottenham is a big club in Europe.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- 'Everton should have given Lukaku No9 shirt'
- Vidal is a Juve player, insists Marotta
- Hernández thanks Inter for interest
- Williams wants Swansea to keep Bony
- Van Gaal: Man Utd making big steps