- Gibbs, Walcott & more: Twitter reacts to Arsenal’s £16m signing
- Loïc Rémy will be loved at Liverpool, says Gerard Houllier
- Photos: Arsenal unveil £16m signing Calum Chambers
- Aldridge & more: Twitter reacts as Liverpool sign Lovren
- Photos: Emre Can & Lazar Markovic look to impress in Liverpool training
- Liverpool transfers: Brendan Rodgers explains collapsed Loïc Rémy deal
West Ham 2 Man Utd 2: Sir Alex hails ‘tremendous’ Van Persie
West Ham 2 Man Utd 2: Sir Alex Ferguson was gushing with praise for Robin van Persie after striker earns United a replay
Sir Alex Ferguson heaped praise on Robin van Persie for a “tremendous” performance after the striker’s late equaliser earned Manchester United a replay against West Ham United.
Tom Cleverley gave the Red Devils the lead in the 23rd minute when he slotted home, before James Collins headed an equaliser for Sam Allardyce’s men.
And Collins then gave the Hammers the lead with another header in the 59th minute.
But with just seconds remaining, substitute Van Persie ran on to Ryan Giggs’s through-ball and stroked home to earn Ferguson’s men a replay at Old Trafford.
“When you’re 2-1 down with three minutes left, you’re just hoping you get a break,” Ferguson told ITV1.
“The pass from Ryan Giggs and the first touch from Robin van Persie were absolutely world-class. Absolutely fantastic.”
“He [Van Persie] has come to a new club as a well established international. He’s a mature age now – and he’s brought that maturity to our front-line. His performance was tremendous.”
Meanwhile, midfielder Joe Cole, who re-joined his boyhood club from Liverpool on Friday, admitted his frustration at his side’s missed opportunity.
He said: “They are a quality side, they have done that countless times. They have world class players like Van Persie and Giggs.
“I felt we defended really well and we were unlucky not to win. It feels like a missed chance, we have to go to Old Trafford and that is a tough game but we done it before.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool hand Lovren No6 shirt
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Chambers
- Twitter reacts to Arsenal's £16m signing
- Arsenal give Chambers No21 shirt
- Walcott welcomes Chambers to Arsenal