- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
I owe West Ham, says Joe Cole after sealing move from Liverpool
Joe Cole admits he feels he "owes" West Ham after the midfielder secures move back to London from Liverpool
Joe Cole admits he feels he “owes” West Ham after the midfielder secured a return to Upton Park on a free transfer from Liverpool.
The 31-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Lille, has signed an 18-month contract with the Hammers after a forgettable spell on Merseyside.
“I feel like I owe the club a little bit because if it wasn’t for West Ham I wouldn’t be a footballer,” Cole told the Hammers’ website. “This club’s great youth-team coaches taught me the trade.”
Cole, capped 56 times by England, added: “Coming back here brings back all the memories of the pitches I learnt how to play on. This is where I learnt my trade and I’m happy to have another chance to be here.
“I’ve always loved West Ham and I hope I can give the club a few memorable seasons.
“The timing was right for me to come back and I’m happy. I’m back in London and I’m delighted to be here. I want to be here and I want to make an impact.
“The place has not changed much to look at, but I think Sam has done a great job with the team. A few years ago, the club was in a bad way and Sam has done brilliantly.
“All in all, it will always be West Ham and the history will always be here and everywhere I go around the world, people love West Ham. Everywhere I go, people know me for having started here.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck