- Man Utd transfers: ‘Marco Reus rejected Red Devils move’
- Transfer round-up: Di Maria to sign for Man Utd, Arsenal target Manolas
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Tottenham transfers: ‘Mateo Musacchio set to snub Spurs’
- Arsenal’s Calum Chambers looks like top defender, says Liverpool legend
Wigan 0 Man Utd 4: Ferguson heaps praise on ‘magnificent’ Van Persie
Wigan 0 Man Utd 4: Sir Alex Ferguson says Robin van Persie is a "major player" for the Red Devils after an emphatic win
Sir Alex Ferguson heaped praise on Robin van Persie after Manchester United secured an emphatic victory over Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.
Javier Hernández pounced on a loose ball in the area to give United a first-half lead after Ali Al-Habsi failed to parry Robin van Persie’s shot to safety.
The pair then combined to double the Red Devils’ lead just before half-time, with the Netherlands international dribbling past two defenders and curling his effort into the net.
Hernández was on hand to finish from close range again when Al-Habsi deflected Van Persie’s free-kick into his path, and the Dutchman completed his brace on the stroke of full-time.
“Wigan are a difficult team to play against, particularly at their own ground so 4-0 is a good result for us,” Ferguson told BBC Sport.
“The game started slowly but once we got the first goal we were away and we were happy to go in a half-time 2-0 up.
“Javier Hernández is a goal-scorer, a real penalty box player. Van Persie’s ability to play is exceptional and his first goal was magnificent.
“We expected him to be a major player and add something to us and that is exactly what he has done.”
“It was very unfair to play against the league leaders in a period like that,” Martinez said.
“We didn’t have the legs or the reaction and you have to congratulate Manchester United.
“They had the luxury of making changes and Van Persie and Hernandez looked brighter and sharper. In the end it was a mismatch.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Gaal needs time to work magic, says Van Gaal
- 'Arsenal aren't strong enough to win title'
- Rojo drops Di Maria Man Utd hint
- Dortmund hopeful of keeping Reus
- Smith: Fàbregas not the answer for Arsenal