- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
They’re the difference! Pardew happy with Newcastle’s January signings
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says he is delighted with the impact of his January transfer signings after beating Southampton
Alan Pardew claimed that Newcastle United’s January transfer signings have lifted the club after their 4-2 victory over Southampton at St James’ Park on Sunday.
Newcastle came from behind against the Saints courtesy of goals from Moussa Sissoko, Papiss Cissé, Yohan Cabaye and Jos Hooiveld’s own goal, to move six points clear of the bottom three.
The Magpies were the busiest club in the Premier League last month, strengthening their side in a bid to move clear of relegation danger after a miserable run of results.
Pardew snapped up Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, Yoan Gouffran, Massadio Haidara and Moussa Sissoko from Ligue 1 after Demba Ba joined Chelsea last month.
“Six weeks ago we wouldn’t have won that game,” said Pardew.
“Losing Demba Ba, losing Yohan Cabaye, losing Steven Taylor and playing a lot of the season without Fabricio Coloccini and Cheik Tiote, it takes its toll.
“At this level you need your best players on the pitch, and we have that now. We’ve come on recently and we needed to. We have 30 points, we’re three points off 10th, we’re in the Europa League and we’re looking good in it and suddenly our season is turning.
“There’s a different feel to the club now and everybody’s contributed. If we didn’t have the financial input from [club owner] Mike Ashley we wouldn’t be in this position, and we needed it.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck