- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Arsenal transfers: Wenger confirms he’s on the lookout for a striker
- ‘Rene Meulensteen return would be great news for Man Utd’
Arsenal transfers: Cesc Fàbregas hopes to finish career at Barcelona
Arsenal transfers: Former Gunners captain Cesc Fàbregas says he is hoping to finish his career at boyhood club Barcelona
Cesc Fàbregas says that he wants to retire at Barcelona despite reports of a possible return to Arsenal in the future.
The 25-year-old has been a key part of Barça’s La Liga title push this season, scoring nine goals in 31 appearances for the Catalan side in all competitions.
Fàbregas returned to his boyhood club in a €34m (£29m) deal from the Gunners in 2011, ending long-term speculation linking the Spain international with a move back to Camp Nou.
In January, Arsène Wenger hinted that Fàbregas could re-join Arsenal after two or three years in Spain – but the playmaker has now reiterated his desire to see out the remainder of his career at Barcelona.
“I’ve come back to Barça to stay for the rest of my career. If it were up to me, and if everything goes well, I’ll fight as hard as I can to retire here,” said Fàbregas.
The former Arsenal captain is expected to line up for Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie at AC Milan next Tuesday.
And Fàbregas warned his Barcelona team-mates that they will need to be at their best to get past the seven-time European champions, despite Milan’s inconsistent form this season,
“It will be very complicated. We’ll need to be at our best to beat them. The match against Milan is key because we want to go to Wembley.
“We believe that they will be a very difficult rival because of the players they have and because of their history. If we aren’t at 100 per cent we will not go through to the next round.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photo: Suárez bids Liverpool team-mates farewell
- PHOTO: Sturridge wishes himself happy birthday
- PHOTO: Suárez gives Gerrard signed Barcelona shirt
- 'Falcao would have slotted in Arsenal side'
- Twitter reacts to reports Falcao will join Man Utd