- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Photos: Joel Campbell and Abou Diaby shine in Arsenal U21 win
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
Arsenal transfers: We were close to one other deal, says Wenger
Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger claims the Gunners were close to bringing in one more player in the January transfer window
Arsène Wenger has revealed that Arsenal were close to bringing in one more player in the January transfer window – but the move fell through because the club did not want to sell.
The Gunners were heavily linked with a swoop for Barcelona striker David Villa, despite the Catalan club’s reluctance to sell the Spain forward.
Arsenal snapped up defender Nacho Monreal from Malaga on deadline day – and Wenger says the north Londoners were trying to sign another player before Thursday.
“We were close to one more signing,” Wenger said. “It didn’t happen because of the desires of the clubs to sell or not to sell. It was not a money problem, but a desire from other clubs.
“Football looks to be an exception in our society [when it comes to spending]. I always say it cannot last much longer, but I am always proved wrong on that.”
Wenger added: “The teams at the top didn’t buy at all. The teams at the bottom did buy. This is explainable by the fact that strengthening the teams at the top at this stage of the season is nearly impossible.
“Teams today are so scared to go out of the Premier League that they will do anything not to go down.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Mourinho: Costa major doubt for Everton clash
- Aston Villa v Sunderland: Tickets available
- Mourinho wants to keep Torres
- PHOTOS: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool
- Rose: Liverpool will test Tottenham's potential