- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Rodgers: Coutinho arrival adds competition to my Liverpool squad
Brendan Rodgers believes the signing of Philippe Coutinho will create more competition amongst his Liverpool squad
Brendan Rodgers believes that the arrival of Philippe Coutinho will spark more competition for places within his Liverpool squad.
The 20-year-old Brazilian sealed a January move to Anfield from Internazionale but is yet to feature for the Merseysiders.
Liverpool boss Rodgers, whose side take on West Bromwich Albion on Monday night, says he will not rush the forward into his plans – but is hoping that his signing will create more competition amongst his strikeforce.
“He’s a young player I’ve got very high hopes for but Daniel was ready to come in and play – we’ll see how young Philippe goes,” said Rodgers.
“He trained with the group on Friday and we’ll observe him and see where he’s at but competition for places is what we want, that was the whole idea of bringing him in.
“He’s a top young player with big experiences and bringing him into the group adds that competition.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place
- Rooney thrilled by Falcao arrival
- Özil marks anniversary of Arsenal move
- Kagawa and Liverpool legend seal German moves