- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Arsenal transfers: AC Milan admit Mario Balotelli could leave
Rodgers: Coutinho arrival adds competition to my Liverpool squad
Brendan Rodgers believes the signing of Philippe Coutinho will create more competition amongst his Liverpool squad
Brendan Rodgers believes that the arrival of Philippe Coutinho will spark more competition for places within his Liverpool squad.
The 20-year-old Brazilian sealed a January move to Anfield from Internazionale but is yet to feature for the Merseysiders.
Liverpool boss Rodgers, whose side take on West Bromwich Albion on Monday night, says he will not rush the forward into his plans – but is hoping that his signing will create more competition amongst his strikeforce.
“He’s a young player I’ve got very high hopes for but Daniel was ready to come in and play – we’ll see how young Philippe goes,” said Rodgers.
“He trained with the group on Friday and we’ll observe him and see where he’s at but competition for places is what we want, that was the whole idea of bringing him in.
“He’s a top young player with big experiences and bringing him into the group adds that competition.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Aurier confirms Arsenal approach
- Cavani won't rule out PSG exit
- Fàbregas: I'll shine with Torres for Chelsea
- PHOTOS: Wilshere returns to Arsenal training
- Pellegrini eyes further Man City signings