- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Ronaldo: Man Utd boss one of the most important people in football
Cristiano Ronaldo describes Sir Alex Ferguson as "one of the most important people in football" ahead of European clash
Cristiano Ronaldo has described Sir Alex Ferguson as “one of the most important people in football” ahead of Real Madrid’s Champions League showdown with Manchester United.
Ronaldo, who left Manchester United to join Real Madrid in 2009, is set to line up against his former club for the first time in the first leg of the last-16 tie later this month.
The 28-year-old Portugal international is still full of respect for the Red Devils boss and insists he enjoys an “excellent” relationship with the Scot.
“I still have an excellent relationship with [Ferguson] and it will be nice to see him again,” said Ronaldo. “He taught me the basis of football.
“I arrived in Manchester when I was only 18. He managed my career in the best possible way and for me he is one of the most important people in football.”
Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 appearances for the Red Devils, winning three Premier League titles and the Champions League, before completing a world-record £80m transfer to Real Madrid in 2009.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place
- Rooney thrilled by Falcao arrival
- Özil marks anniversary of Arsenal move
- Kagawa and Liverpool legend seal German moves