- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd make double bid, Arsenal to sign Carvalho
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Divock Origi explains why he picked Liverpool over Tottenham Hotspur
- Real Madrid didn’t appreciate Angel di Maria, says Man Utd signing’s father
Everton’s Moyes: I was close to becoming Sir Alex’s No2 at Man Utd
Everton manager David Moyes says he was close to becoming Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant manager at Manchester United
David Moyes has revealed he could have become Sir Alex Ferguson’s assistant manager at Manchester United in 1998.
The Red Devils manager was looking for a replacement to succeed his long-term No2 Brian Kidd, who opted to take over the head coach’s role at Blackburn Rovers.
Moyes was just over six months into his Preston North End reign when Ferguson contacted his compatriot, with the current Everton manager meeting the Red Devils boss to discuss a possible role.
Ferguson eventually opted to appoint Steve McClaren as Kidd’s successor, with Moyes being named Everton’s manager in March 2002 and leading the Toffees into the Champions League for the first time in 2005.
“I met Fergie in the year they won the Champions League,” Moyes said.
“He asked me to have a cup of tea with him. He was looking for an assistant. I met him but he gave the job to McClaren.
“I was fine with that because I was enjoying what I was doing at Preston but, if that opportunity had come, I wouldn’t have turned it down. Maybe it was a good decision not to do it.
“They went on to win the European Cup and have been very successful since but I’m happy with the way it’s worked out for me.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Pochettino: I've always had faith in Kane
- Twitter reacts as Liverpool draw Real Madrid
- Liverpool 'pleased' with Champions League draw
- Arsenal handed Cerci boost
- PHOTOS: Kane impresses as Spurs beat Limassol