- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Man Utd transfers: Angel Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Man Utd transfers: Thomas Müller confirms Red Devils snub
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Red Devils only need two new top players’
Gareth Bale: Tottenham have ‘overtaken’ Arsenal in recent years
Tottenham winger Gareth Bale believes Spurs have "overtaken" their north London rivals Arsenal over the last couple of years
Gareth Bale has turned up the heat ahead of next Sunday’s north London derby by claiming that Tottenham have “overtaken” Arsenal in recent seasons.
The Gunners were able to close the gap to their north London rivals to just one point with Saturday’s 2-1 win over Aston Villa as the race for a top-four finish intensifies.
Spurs travel to West Ham United on Monday night before hosting Arsenal at White Hart Lane next weekend.
And Bale, who has been Tottenham’s standout performer this season having scored nine goals in his last nine outings for André Villas-Boas’s men, feels that Spurs have now edged ahead of the Gunners in terms of quality.
“I think five or 10 years ago Arsenal were always miles ahead of Tottenham but that has changed in recent years,” Bale was quoted as saying by the Sun.
“Over the past few seasons we have closed that gap and I think now we have overtaken them on the pitch. I think we have the stronger squad.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Balotelli set to complete Liverpool move
- Jones: Liverpool need a striker
- Ancelotti: Khedira has not asked to leave
- Di Maria asks to leave Real Madrid
- Carragher: Balotelli good value at £16m