- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Photos: Arsenal unveil new signing Danny Welbeck
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Özil & more: Twitter reacts as Welbeck joins Arsenal from Man Utd
- Danny Welbeck only wanted to quit Man Utd for Arsenal, says Alan Smith
Gareth Bale: Tottenham have ‘overtaken’ Arsenal in recent years
Tottenham winger Gareth Bale believes Spurs have "overtaken" their north London rivals Arsenal over the last couple of years
Gareth Bale has turned up the heat ahead of next Sunday’s north London derby by claiming that Tottenham have “overtaken” Arsenal in recent seasons.
The Gunners were able to close the gap to their north London rivals to just one point with Saturday’s 2-1 win over Aston Villa as the race for a top-four finish intensifies.
Spurs travel to West Ham United on Monday night before hosting Arsenal at White Hart Lane next weekend.
And Bale, who has been Tottenham’s standout performer this season having scored nine goals in his last nine outings for André Villas-Boas’s men, feels that Spurs have now edged ahead of the Gunners in terms of quality.
“I think five or 10 years ago Arsenal were always miles ahead of Tottenham but that has changed in recent years,” Bale was quoted as saying by the Sun.
“Over the past few seasons we have closed that gap and I think now we have overtaken them on the pitch. I think we have the stronger squad.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Welbeck suffers minor injury setback
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck