- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to miss out on Khedira, Fellaini to quit Man Utd
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Man Utd’s Juan Mata sees funny side after Wayne Rooney mix-up
- Arsenal haven’t gambled on Calum Chambers, says Southampton legend
Lineker, Kompany & more: Twitter reacts as Man City beat Chelsea
Gary Lineker and Vincent Kompany both tweet their thoughts after Manchester City seal a 2-0 victory over Chelsea at the Etihad
Manchester City closed the gap on Premier League leaders Manchester United to 12 points after a 2-0 victory over Chelsea at the Etihad Stadium.
Frank Lampard had the chance to put his side ahead from the penalty spot but was denied by Joe Hart, before City sealed a win courtesy of goals from Yaya Touré and Carlos Tevez.
Here is the best of the Twitter reaction from the professionals, in chronological order.
Everton defender Phil Neville (@fizzer18) is ready for an afternoon of sport after David Moyes worked his squad hard following Saturday’s loss: “Trained hard this morning got yesterday out the system – home to watch the football City against Chelsea.”
Middlesbrough midfielder Josh McEachran (@JMcEachran20) is cheering on his parent club: “Come on the Blues!!”
Former Aston Villa star Ian Taylor (@IanTaylor7) is impressed by Hart’s save: “Catching second half of #mcfc #cfc. What a save from Hart! @GNev2 said ‘oldest trick in the book for a forward’, in other words a dive?? Lol!”
England legend Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) also hails Hart before Yaya Touré’s opener: “Superb save by Hart from Lampard pen but lucky to have stayed on? Was a goal scoring opportunity even if a shade wide! Terrific goal from Yaya Touré. At his best he’s as good a midfield player as anyone in the game!”
Ex-Chelsea midfieler Jody Morris (@morriskid) heaps praise on City’s brother double act: “Kolo Touré playing like his arsenal days..then his brother does that!!”
However, former Spurs man Rohan Ricketts (@RohanRicketts) prefers Tevez’s strike: “Goooooooolazoooo Tevez with a sweet strike. 2-0 and it’s all over for Chelsea.”
City captain Vincent Kompany (@VincentKompany) felt his side earned the three points: “That was a big win today! Great team performance that deserved a victory! #MCFC”
Southampton defender Luke Shaw (@Luke_shaw3) is gutted to lose at Newcastle: “Devastated, thank you to all the fans who travelled up today and supported us.”
Finally, Chris Samba (@cs4christsamba1) still reckons United will win the title: “Forgot to say good game before with Man City against Chelsea. Tevez with a great goal but Man Utd will still win title race.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Photos: Arsenal train in Austria
- Scholes: Wilshere can come of age
- Scholes: Rooney be next Man Uatd captain
- Three reasons why Chelsea isn't right for Lukaku
- Lukaku ready to 'write new chapter'