- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Liverpool’s Jamie Carragher will be top young coach, says Roy Hodgson
England manager Roy Hodgson is backing Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher to forge a successful career in coaching
Roy Hodgson has backed Jamie Carragher to become a “top young coach” after the Liverpool defender announced his plans to retire at the end of the season.
The 35-year-old has been largely out-of-favour this season under new manager Brendan Rodgers, although the centre-half started Liverpool’s last two Premier League games at Arsenal and Manchester City.
The England international played under Roy Hodgson for six months at Anfield before the current Three Lions manager was replaced by Reds legend Kenny Dalglish in January 2011.
And Hodgson is confident Carragher, who retired from international football in 2007 before briefly returning for the 2010 World Cup campaign, will forge a promising management career.
“After retirement I’m sure he will march quickly up the coaching ladder and become one of the country’s top young coaches,” he said.
Hodgson added: “Having worked with Jamie Carragher it was always evident that he was a model professional who gave everything he had for club and country.
“He has had a fantastic career and will always be looked on very fondly by everyone associated with Liverpool Football Club.
“It was good to see him back in the team recently, I hope that between now and the end of the season he is able to add to his great total of appearances for the club.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Van Persie denies injury reports
- Liverpool chief hails Man Utd's Falcao deal
- Tottenham confirm Walker surgery
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place