- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
Liverpool youngster Shelvey aiming to emulate Downing and Henderson
Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey says he wants to follow in the footsteps of Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson
Jonjo Shelvey admits that he wants to follow in the footsteps of Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson, and force his way into Liverpool’s first-team after a spell on the side-lines.
Downing and Henderson were initially out-of-favour under Brendan Rodgers, and the pair seemed destined for an early Anfield exit after their big-money moves in 2011.
“Stewart and Jordan were not playing at the start of the season and they have worked hard day-in, day-out since to force their way into the side,” Shelvey told Liverpool’s website.
“They’ve worked their socks off to get back into the team and it’s paid off for them.
“They are enjoying a good spell in the side and Jordan has scored two goals in two games.
“I’m happy for him to get his games but I want to be the one in his shoes and getting myself back into the team.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Wenger: Sanchez has qualities Arsenal lack
- Henry talks up 'quality' Zelalem
- Rodgers delighted by imminent Gerrard deal
- No bids on players, insists QPR owner
- 'West Ham will have to sign cover for Carroll'