- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Nigel de Jong would be good signing for Red Devils’
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal set to sign Falcao, Man Utd snap up teenager
- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd transfers: ‘Juan Mata’s Red Devils future in danger’
- Photos: Joel Campbell and Abou Diaby shine in Arsenal U21 win
I’ll be his dad! Liverpool’s Lucas vows to help new boy Coutinho settle
Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva says he will help the club's new Brazilian signing Philippe Coutinho adjust to life at the Anfield outfit
Lucas Leiva says that he will try to be like Philippe Coutinho’s “dad” and help the young Brazilian settle at Liverpool.
The 20-year-old is yet to make an appearance for the Reds after completing a £8.5m switch to Anfield from Internazionale last week.
Lucas is well aware of the tests facing a young South American in the Premier League after the midfielder moved to Merseyside aged 20 in 2007.
The former Gremio star had fellow Brazilian Fabio Aurelio and Argentina international Javier Mascherano to help him settle upon his arrival – and Lucas is keen to make Coutinho comfortable at his new club.
He said: “He’s a great talent – a young player but with a lot of experience – and I’m really looking forward to playing with him and helping him to settle quickly in England.
“He doesn’t speak much English, so I will try to be his dad for a few months and hopefully he will be OK.
“I will just try to make him feel comfortable, the same way I did for Luis [Suárez] and Sebastian Coates.
“I’ve been here for a long time and it’s just what I feel I need to do and what I feel I have to do. Hopefully he will feel comfortable.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Why Bilbao will be a force in group stage
- Fantasy Football: This weekend's best picks
- Van Gaal hints at further Man Utd signings
- 'Man Utd target Cuadrado staying at Fiorentina'
- Man Utd's Rojo still waiting for work permit