- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Liverpool transfers: Serge Aurier reveals talks over future
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal back in for Balotelli, Man Utd bid for Cuadrado
Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard wanted Jamie Carragher to keep playing
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard reveals he tried to convince veteran Jamie Carragher to continue playing for another season
Steven Gerrard has revealed he tried to convince Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher to extend his career by an extra year after the veteran announced his plans to retire at the end of the season.
Carragher has been a long-term team-mate of Gerrard after breaking into Gérard Houllier’s starting line-up a season before the current Reds captain, and the pair have gone on to lift seven trophies together.
And Gerrard, who made his 600th appearance for Liverpool in November, was desperate to persuade Carragher to keep playing for another season, likening the centre-half to club greats such as Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson.
“I’ve known a little bit longer than other people. I’ve tried just as hard as everyone else to try to keep him going for a bit longer,” Gerrard told Liverpool’s website.
“But we have to respect his decision. He’s had a fantastic career and he feels it’s the right time to go out, at the end of the season.
“Hopefully there are still some big performances left in him before he goes.
“I could go on for a long time about him. People mention him alongside the likes of Hansen and Lawrenson, the best defenders that this club has ever had.
“For me, if he’s not alongside them he’s a little bit above them. That’s the biggest compliment I can pay him.
“He’s a wonderful player – at his peak, for two or three seasons he was one of the best defenders in the world.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Fàbregas reveals Mourinho visit
- PHOTOS: Beckham drops in ahead of Man Utd training
- PHOTOS: Liverpool training at Fenway Park
- Rodgers sings Markovic's praises
- Rodgers: Suárez hasn't let Liverpool down