- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photos: Balotelli and Lallana train with Liverpool ahead of Tottenham trip
- Man Utd’s Louis van Gaal needs to show respect, blasts Liverpool legend
- Paul Scholes questions Man Utd’s move for Daley Blind
- Tottenham give latest injury update ahead of Liverpool clash
- Photos: Sánchez all smiles as Arsenal gear up for Leicester trip
Liverpool’s Downing: Rodgers can’t drop me if I continue form
Liverpool winger Stewart Downing says his manager Brendan Rodgers can't drop the winger if he continues to perform well
Stewart Downing believes Brendan Rodgers can’t justify leaving him out of the Liverpool first-team if the winger keeps performing at a high level.
The 28-year-old was on the verge of an Anfield exit ahead of the January transfer window after failing to impress his new Reds manager at the start of the season.
The Northern Irishman informed the under-performing midfielder that he could start looking for a new club, but when Rodgers re-instated Downing in his starting XI, the England international impressed as the Reds went on a winning run.
Downing, who was signed by Kenny Dalglish for £20m from Aston Villa in 2011, has started Liverpool’s last 10 Premier League games, scoring his first league goal for the club against Fulham and providing two assists.
“When the manager gave me a chance again, it was probably the last one I was going to get as he was looking at bringing players in,” Downing told Liverpool’s website.
“If I keep playing well, he can’t leave me out. That’s how I see it at the minute. If you don’t perform, he will be disappointed and you won’t play.
“If he does strengthen again in the summer, it will be good for the team. But every game I play, I have to do well as I know he is going to strengthen.”
Downing has scored five goals in 76 appearances for Liverpool after swapping Villa Park for Anfield in July 2011.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTO: Three Liverpool legends meet at Bayern clash
- Twitter reacts as Chelsea beat Everton
- Everton 3 Chelsea 6: Player ratings
- Fazio available to face Liverpool
- Wilshere ready for 'tough' Leicester game