- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
Liverpool transfers: ‘Newcastle have a soft spot for Andy Carroll’
Liverpool transfers: Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias hints the Magpies are still interested in Andy Carroll
Derek Llambias has admitted Newcastle United still have a “soft spot” for Liverpool striker Andy Carroll.
The 24-year-old endured a difficult first season at Liverpool after completing a record £35m move to Anfield from St James’ Park in January 2011.
Despite managing just two goals in 11 appearances in an injury-hit spell at the Hammers, the east London club have already agreed a deal with Liverpool for the striker.
But Newcastle managing director Llambias hinted the Toon would be interested in re-signing Carroll if the opportunity arose.
“We’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Andy here,” Llambias told the Newcastle Chronicle. “He’s a character and he’s getting older and more mature – and he’s stronger.
“It’s unlucky what has happened at West Ham, but he scored a great goal at the weekend. He’s still got a house up here. Andy was part and parcel of our growth.”
Carroll has scored 11 goals in 58 appearances for the Merseyside outfit since his club record move.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Henry: Time was right to sell Suárez
- Van Gaal hints at defensive signings for Man Utd
- Herrera: My Man Utd debut was a dream
- Shaqiri plays down exit speculation
- Rodgers: Coutinho the brain of Liverpool side