- Transfer round-up: Man Utd close in on Di Maria, Arsenal sign £3m Ospina
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Arsenal transfers: Real Madrid ‘looking to offload Sami Khedira’
- Tottenham transfers: New signings possible, says Mauricio Pochettino
- Lionel Messi ‘enquired about Arsenal move last season’
- Arsenal transfers: AC Milan admit Mario Balotelli could leave
Liverpool youngster Raheem Sterling happy with England choice
Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling says he has no regrets about his decision to play for England rather than Jamaica
Raheem Sterling says he has no regrets about his decision to pick England over Jamaica after the Liverpool winger made his Three Lions debut last November.
Roy Hodgson handed the midfielder his first England start in a 4-2 victory over Sweden, with Sterling lasting 85 minutes before being replaced by Wilfried Zaha.
The 18-year-old, who has scored two goals in 38 games for Liverpool this season, grew up in Kingston before moving to England with his mother aged five and going on to represent the Three Lions at youth level.
“I grew up playing for England’s youth teams and it just didn’t seem right to switch,” Sterling told Liverpool’s website. “I want to continue my education with England.
“It was a dream come true to make my debut and I’m really grateful. Hopefully I can kick on with Liverpool and hopefully get more caps for England.”
“As a young player you’ve just got to work hard,” addded Sterling. “Hopefully I can get on the bench and then make an impact coming off the bench. Hopefully I can get a chance and take it.
“I don’t feel an added pressure. I can’t try and overdo it. I’ve got to play my normal game and hopefully that will work out.
“I’ve been in the gym a few times a week. Size isn’t an issue as long as you can hold your own on the pitch.
“I want to work on my long-distance shooting and my decision making.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Aurier confirms Arsenal approach
- Cavani won't rule out PSG exit
- Fàbregas: I'll shine with Torres for Chelsea
- PHOTOS: Wilshere returns to Arsenal training
- Pellegrini eyes further Man City signings