- Tottenham transfers: Gary Lineker hails ‘solid’ signing Federico Fazio
- Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher makes Man Utd ‘joke’ on Twitter
- Vertonghen & more: Twitter reacts as Dawson swaps Tottenham for Hull
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Özil, Vieira & more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Rooney, Lineker & more: Twitter reacts as Di Maria completes Man Utd move
Liverpool youngster Raheem Sterling happy with England choice
Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling says he has no regrets about his decision to play for England rather than Jamaica
Raheem Sterling says he has no regrets about his decision to pick England over Jamaica after the Liverpool winger made his Three Lions debut last November.
Roy Hodgson handed the midfielder his first England start in a 4-2 victory over Sweden, with Sterling lasting 85 minutes before being replaced by Wilfried Zaha.
The 18-year-old, who has scored two goals in 38 games for Liverpool this season, grew up in Kingston before moving to England with his mother aged five and going on to represent the Three Lions at youth level.
“I grew up playing for England’s youth teams and it just didn’t seem right to switch,” Sterling told Liverpool’s website. “I want to continue my education with England.
“It was a dream come true to make my debut and I’m really grateful. Hopefully I can kick on with Liverpool and hopefully get more caps for England.”
“As a young player you’ve just got to work hard,” addded Sterling. “Hopefully I can get on the bench and then make an impact coming off the bench. Hopefully I can get a chance and take it.
“I don’t feel an added pressure. I can’t try and overdo it. I’ve got to play my normal game and hopefully that will work out.
“I’ve been in the gym a few times a week. Size isn’t an issue as long as you can hold your own on the pitch.
“I want to work on my long-distance shooting and my decision making.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal edge past Besiktas
- Wenger open to further Arsenal signings
- Giroud ruled out until December
- PHOTOS: Sánchez fires Arsenal into group stage
- Man Utd are a joke! Carragher makes Twitter dig