- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
You can’t blame Suárez if he decides to leave, says ex-Liverpool midfielder
Liverpool supporters should not blame Luis Suárez if he decides to quit Anfield in the summer, claims Dietmar Hamann
Liverpool supporters should not blame Luis Suárez if he decides to quit Anfield in the summer, according to ex-Reds midfielder Dietmar Hamann.
The Uruguay striker has been the Merseyside outfit’s star performer this season after scoring 22 goals in all competitions for Brendan Rodgers’ men.
Suárez’s impressive form has inevitably led to speculation linking the 26-year-old with a move away from Liverpool, despite the forward himself insisting he is happy at the club.
But Hamann believes that Reds supporters could have no complaints should the striker opt to seek pastures new at the end of the season if the Liverpool fail to secure Champions League football.
“I’m sure there will have been offers for Suárez last summer, and I think Liverpool have done well to keep hold of him,” Hamann told the Liverpool Daily Post.
“But another year has since passed. Footballers have 10-12 years in the professional game if they are lucky, and they want to compete with the best for the biggest prizes.
“Liverpool are not in the big competitions and the reality is they probably won’t be next year either.
“Supporters have to understand that you can’t blame Suárez if he decides he wants to go at the end of the season.
“If a club comes in for him in the summer that can offer him Champions League football and the chance to win a domestic title, you can’t have a go at him if he decides to leave.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema