- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
- Arsenal legend Thierry Henry talks up ‘quality’ Gedion Zelalem
- Brendan Rodgers likens Philippe Coutinho to ex-Tottenham star
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger confirms David Ospina signing
- Liverpool deliver latest Adam Lallana injury update
Man City’s Kompany: We can’t blame failure to sign RVP for title woes
Vincent Kompany says he will not blame the failure to sign Robin Van Persie if Manchester City fail to win the title this term
Vincent Kompany says Manchester City can’t blame their failure to sign Robin van Persie if Manchester United should pip the Citizens to the Premier League title.
Van Persie has scored 18 Premier League goals for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side since joiningfrom Arsenal in a £24m deal this summer, but Kompany insists there are more reasons than missing out on the Dutchman’s signature for City’s struggles this term.
“Nothing matters apart from being first,” Kompany said. “Anything below that then you are just another top team that’s failed.
“We are not about to give up but the reality is that we are up against a very good United team.
“United hit the jackpot with Van Persie. But you can’t think “What if” about Van Persie. I am not sitting here thinking, “What if we had signed Lionel Messi” either.
“His transfer has made a direct impact but to say he’s the reason we can’t make it – if it turns out that way – is not correct. I still believe we can do this but if we don’t, there will be plenty more reasons than the fact we didn’t sign one player and another club did.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Cleverley: I'm Van Gaal's type of player
- Oxlade-Chamberlain eyes Wilshere's No10
- 'Coutinho will become even bigger Liverpool diamond'
- Mata: Van Gaal is demanding but honest
- 'Campbell wanted by AC Milan'