- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal rules out any further signings
- Transfer round-up: Man Utd to sign £34m Vidal, Arsenal target Cavani
- Wenger gives latest Arsenal injury update ahead of Besiktas clash
- Photos: Podolski and Sánchez ready for Arsenal’s European showdown
- Arsenal transfers: Arsène Wenger refuses to rule out further signings
- Photos: Man Utd unveil new £59.7m signing Angel Di Maria
Man City’s Kompany: We can’t blame failure to sign RVP for title woes
Vincent Kompany says he will not blame the failure to sign Robin Van Persie if Manchester City fail to win the title this term
Vincent Kompany says Manchester City can’t blame their failure to sign Robin van Persie if Manchester United should pip the Citizens to the Premier League title.
Van Persie has scored 18 Premier League goals for Sir Alex Ferguson’s side since joiningfrom Arsenal in a £24m deal this summer, but Kompany insists there are more reasons than missing out on the Dutchman’s signature for City’s struggles this term.
“Nothing matters apart from being first,” Kompany said. “Anything below that then you are just another top team that’s failed.
“We are not about to give up but the reality is that we are up against a very good United team.
“United hit the jackpot with Van Persie. But you can’t think “What if” about Van Persie. I am not sitting here thinking, “What if we had signed Lionel Messi” either.
“His transfer has made a direct impact but to say he’s the reason we can’t make it – if it turns out that way – is not correct. I still believe we can do this but if we don’t, there will be plenty more reasons than the fact we didn’t sign one player and another club did.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Di Maria seals Man Utd move
- Allen 'excited to work' with Balotelli
- Di Maria will need time to adapt, warns Van Gaal
- Rodgers: Balotelli could feature at Spurs
- Di Maria didn't want to leave Real Madrid