- England v India: Graeme Swann calls for changes to ODI side
- England v India: Four talking points as Suresh Raina stars
- T20 Finals Day: Three talking points as Bears finish top of the pile
- England v India: We have to dust ourselves down, admits Alastair Cook
- England v India: Talking points as weather curtails Indian fightback
- England v India: Four talking points as Broad stars on day one
New Zealand v England: Cook hails Root display as tourists level series
New Zealand v England: Alastair Cook is full of praise for Joe Root after the young batsman excelled as tourists levelled the ODI series
Alastair Cook was full of praise for Joe Root after the young England batsman excelled as his side recorded a comfortable eight-wicket victory in the second one-day international in Napier.
Root’s blistering 79 from 56 deliveries, aided by an unbeaten knock of 65 from Jonathan Trott, saw England cruise to their target of 270 after dismissing the home side.
Captain Cook was effusive in his praise of the Yorkshireman Root, who became the first England player to pass 30 in his first six ODI innings.
“He’s got the makings of a very good player,” Cook said of the 22-year old, “He keeps his feet on the ground, works very hard and has the right temperament for international cricket.”
Cook, who made 78 at the top of the England innings, added: “He’s adapted very well to new roles.
“He opens the batting for Yorkshire in four-day cricket, he’s batting at six for us in Test matches and batting in the crucial position of four in one-day matches. He’s done incredibly well.”
The platform for England’s triumph was laid by the bowling attack, who dismissed the New Zealanders for 269, with new record wicket-taker James Anderson picking up 5-34.
“You know Jimmy is going to bowl pretty well pretty much every time,” said Cook. “It was a pretty strong wind and he bowled all his overs into that wind, so it was a great effort.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
- Swann calls for England changes
- Cook: England must do better
- Four talking points as Raina fires India to ODI win
- Talking points as Bears finish top of T20s pile
- Middlesex v India: Three talking points