- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Rio Ferdinand: Danny Welbeck will ‘flourish’ as Arsenal’s No1 striker
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
Newcastle transfers: Fabricio Coloccini still keen on San Lorenzo return
Newcastle transfers: Fabricio Coloccini says he still wants to return to Argentina but the defender is focused on the Magpies for now
Fabricio Coloccini says he still wants to return to Argentina in the near future – but insists he is focused on Newcastle United for now.
The Magpies captain had a transfer request rejected in the January transfer window amid interest from his former club San Lorenzo.
But a return to South America did not materialise, with Alan Pardew desperate to keep hold of his talismanic defender.
“I want to be totally focused on playing for Newcastle now. We will see about the future because the idea of returning to Argentina still exists and I need it,” Coloccini told Fox Sports.
He added: “There have been many versions [about wanting to leave Newcastle].
“When it was known that I had a word with Newcastle officials about returning home to Argentina because of some personal problems, the only thing San Lorenzo did was to open their doors for me.
“They said that if I managed to get out, then they wanted me to play for them. It was my dream too because I am a San Lorenzo supporter, but it wasn’t that I wanted to get out of Newcastle because I wanted to go to Argentina.
“I could have not extended my contract, but I had already searched for a house to live in Newcastle with my family. I had everything prepared, then there were some problems and I decided to talk with the club officials about possibly letting me go. I told them that I needed to be in Argentina, and then the story built.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- PHOTOS: Arsenal unveil new signing Welbeck
- RVP: Falcao will have to earn Man Utd place
- Rooney thrilled by Falcao arrival
- Özil marks anniversary of Arsenal move
- Kagawa and Liverpool legend seal German moves