- Liverpool transfers: Marco Reus wanted by massive clubs, says agent
- Liverpool transfers: ‘Reds in trouble after failing to sign Loïc Rémy’
- The new Chambo! Arsenal forward hails new signing Calum Chambers
- Arsenal haven’t gambled on Calum Chambers, says Southampton legend
- Photos: Liverpool unveil new signing Divock Origi
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal relaxed about potential signings
Odemwingie deserves another chance at West Brom, says QPR’s Redknapp
Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp says Peter Odemwingie deserves another chance at West Bromwich Albion
Harry Redknapp has called for Peter Odemwingie to be given another chance by West Bromwich Albion after his transfer deadline day fiasco.
The 31-year-old has been branded “wholly unprofessional” by the Baggies after being refused entry to Queens Park Rangers’ Loftus Road, when he believed a move had already been agreed.
To add to Odemwingie’s woe, events were captured by waiting television crews, but Redknapp insists it was an honest mistake.
“Let’s hope people give him an opportunity,” said Redknapp. “Show me someone who hasn’t made a mistake in their life, and I’ll show you liar.”
“There are people who are playing football that have made massive mistakes in their lives and they’re now back playing football.
“Odemwingie deserves a chance. He’s a good player and a good person.”
A possible move for the striker had been muted for several weeks, according to Redknapp, who regrets how the transfer had “dragged on”.
However, the R’s boss distanced himself from the saga by saying the board are responsible for any transfers.
“It shouldn’t come to the last day (of the January window), it’s the last thing I wanted to do,” added the 65-year-old.
“I wish the deal had been done three weeks ago and I could have been sitting with my family. I’ve not been involved in that for the last few years.”
QPR secured the services of three players – Chris Samba, Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend – on Thursday to cap off a successful January window, which saw Loïc Rémy and Yun Suk-Young also arrive.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Shaw accepts Van Gaal's criticism
- Schneiderlin blasts Southampton
- West Ham hope to sign Jenkinson in next 24 hours
- All of today's football transfer gossip
- Rodgers rejects Tottenham comparisons