Odemwingie deserves another chance at West Brom, says QPR’s Redknapp

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp says Peter Odemwingie deserves another chance at West Bromwich Albion

Harry Kemble
By Harry Kemble  at Harlington  
peter odemwingie
Peter Odemwingie was hoping to join QPR on deadline day Photo: Soccer.ru

peter odemwingie

Harry Redknapp has called for Peter Odemwingie to be given another chance by West Bromwich Albion after his transfer deadline day fiasco.

The 31-year-old has been branded “wholly unprofessional” by the Baggies after being refused entry to Queens Park Rangers’ Loftus Road, when he believed a move had already been agreed.

To add to Odemwingie’s woe, events were captured by waiting television crews, but Redknapp insists it was an honest mistake.

“Let’s hope people give him an opportunity,” said Redknapp. “Show me someone who hasn’t made a mistake in their life, and I’ll show you liar.”

“There are people who are playing football that have made massive mistakes in their lives and they’re now back playing football.

“Odemwingie deserves a chance. He’s a good player and a good person.”

A possible move for the striker had been muted for several weeks, according to Redknapp, who regrets how the transfer had “dragged on”.

However, the R’s boss distanced himself from the saga by saying the board are responsible for any transfers.

“It shouldn’t come to the last day (of the January window), it’s the last thing I wanted to do,” added the 65-year-old.

“I wish the deal had been done three weeks ago and I could have been sitting with my family. I’ve not been involved in that for the last few years.”

QPR secured the services of three players – Chris Samba, Jermaine Jenas and Andros Townsend – on Thursday to cap off a successful January window, which saw Loic Remy and Yun Suk-Young also arrive.

Get 5/1 enhanced odds on Joshua to beat Klitschko. Hurry, offer ends soon. Click here and sign up for an account now. New customers only. T&Cs apply. Enhanced winnings paid in free bets.

MORE: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among players out of contract in 2018

MORE: Seven reasons why Chelsea must keep Cesc Fabregas

MORE: Do you know the top Muslim footballers in the Premier League?

MORE: Back to The Sport Review homepage

MORE: Man United latest news

MORE: Arsenal latest news

MORE: Chelsea latest news

MORE: Liverpool latest news

The Sport Review
20 Chelsea transfer targets Antonio Conte could sign in the summer
The Sport Review
Top 25 Muslim football players in Premier League: Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United and Chelsea stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal WAGs 2017: Meet Granit Xhaka, Shkodran Mustafi and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s wives and girlfriends
The Sport Review
Roberto Firmino: 25 photos of the Liverpool forward’s stunning wife
The Sport Review
Top 40 Muslim footballers: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United stars feature
The Sport Review
Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool stars among 16 players out of contract in 2018
The Sport Review
Murray turns tables on Ramos-Vinolas in Barcelona, Bedene extends winning run in Budapest
The Sport Review
Frank Lampard: What I really think about Man United striker Marcus Rashford
The Sport Review
Barcelona 2017: Nadal and Zeballos beat #NextGen challengers to lock horns after four years