- Man Utd transfers: Arturo Vidal ‘will join Red Devils next month’
- Arsène Wenger: I couldn’t play Aaron Ramsey at The Emirates
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham’s ‘unbelievable’ Erik Lamela
- Arsenal transfers: Lukas Podolski urges Sami Khedira to join Gunners
- Transfer round-up: Khedira hopeful of Arsenal move, Man Utd in Turan talks
- Man Utd transfers: Louis van Gaal hints at reinforcements
We’ve lost a leader! QPR’s Harry Redknapp on Ryan Nelsen exit
Harry Redknapp admits QPR have lost a "real leader" in Ryan Nelsen, adding Chris Samba's arrival doesn't guarantee survival
Harry Redknapp admits that Queens Park Rangers have lost a “real leader” after veteran defender Ryan Nelsen played his last game for the club in a goalless draw with Manchester City on Tuesday.
The New Zealand international has been a mainstay of QPR’s side this season, under both Redknapp’s predecessor Mark Hughes and the current manager.
However, Toronto’s managerial offer succeeded in luring the former Blackburn Rovers centre-half, who only joined the Hoops as back-up and never expected to feature on a regular basis, to the MLS.
Remarkably, Nelsen made 21 Premier League appearances for the Hoops, forging an impressive partnership with Clint Hill in recent weeks, after joining in the summer on a free transfer.
And QPR manager Redknapp says Nelsen will be missed.
“The big one was losing Ryan Nelsen. Because he had been so good for us, that was the key,” said Redknapp.
“We lost a real leader he had been absolutely fantastic for us.”
QPR have moved swiftly to replace Nelsen, with the Kiwi’s former Blackburn team-mate Chris Samba arriving at Loftus Road after completing a £12.5m switch from Anzhi Makhachkala.
On Friday, Redknapp revealed that he had drawn up a fanciful wish list of centre-halves which he would like to sign – names included Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Nemanja Vidic and Samba.
But the QPR boss didn’t anticipate club owner Tony Fernandes pulling off a massive coup and signing one of his fantasy targets.
“I didn’t know anything about Chris Samba move, it was completely out of the blue,” he added.
“He sat down with me ten days ago and said who would you take, if you could anyone. I named Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry and Samba. I have tried to Samba loads of times in the past.
“The chairman just said to me that he was close to getting me one of those players on the list but he wouldn’t tell me who it was.
“And that was how it went. We sat there in the office me, Kevin (Bond) and Joe (Jordan) all guessing who it would be.
“He told me the day before he got him.”
However, Redknapp believes Samba’s arrival doesn’t necessarily guarantee QPR’s top-flight survival, with the Hoops boss adamant the Congo star is merely replacing a top-class outgoing defender.
“It doesn’t mean we are going to stay up just because we have bought Samba.
“It is a top centre-half replacing a top-centre half. If Ryan Nelsen had stayed here then I wouldn’t have had to buy Samba.
“Other clubs spend money down there; Villa have spent big money down there.
“People think they have bought just kids, go back to Darren Bent, you can go through a list of players there and they have spent good money as well. Richard Dunne and other players have all cost good money.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Cech welcomes Chelsea legend back home
- Man Utd flop Bebe joins Benfica
- Blanc coy on Di Maria link
- Law backs Van Gaal to lead Man Utd into Europe
- Ancelotti tells Di Maria to fight for Madrid future