- Arsenal transfers: Sami Khedira ‘agrees personal terms with Gunners’
- Abou Diaby can be a major asset for Arsenal, says Arsène Wenger
- Man Utd transfers: Dortmund speak out about Hummels and Reus
- Photos: Man Utd train ahead of LA Galaxy clash
- Photos: Liverpool train at Harvard University
- Abou Diaby hopeful of staying injury-free with Arsenal this season
Real Madrid v Man Utd: Ronaldo could cave under pressure – Wenger
Real Madrid v Man Utd: Arsène Wenger believes that lining up against his former club could prove too much for Cristiano Ronaldo
Arsène Wenger believes that lining up against his former club could prove too much for Cristiano Ronaldo when Manchester United take on Real Madrid on Wednesday.
It will be the first time that Ronaldo faces the Red Devils, with the Portugal international having spent six seasons at United between 2003 and 2009.
And Wenger feels that the magnitude of the occasion could hamper his display when all eyes are on the Spanish capital tonight.
“Ronaldo’s a great player and he can make the difference,” Wenger told the Daily Express.
“But he is up against his former club and that will put him in the eye of a hurricane. We’ll have to see just how he faces up to the return at Old Trafford.
“You could say that Real Madrid have an advantage in that they are not competing for the La Liga title and so they can concentrate on the Champions League. But on the other hand it is logical to assume that United have been resting players, and keeping their best tricks up their sleeves for this tie.”
Ronaldo scored 118 goals in 292 games for Manchester United, winning one Champions League and three Premier League titles, as well as one FA Cup and two League Cups.◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Lamela vows to prove his worth
- Roberto keen on Barcelona stay
- Borini desperate for Liverpool stay
- Aurier reveals talks over future
- Pires: Sánchez will fire Arsenal to glory