- Man Utd transfers: ‘Marco Reus rejected Red Devils move’
- Transfer round-up: Di Maria to sign for Man Utd, Arsenal target Manolas
- Özil, Szczesny and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal draw at Besiktas
- Man Utd transfers: Marcos Rojo drops Angel Di Maria hint
- Transfer round-up: Manolas has Arsenal medical, Man Utd to sign Cuadrado
- Tottenham transfers: ‘Mateo Musacchio set to snub Spurs’
We need to have big balls! Roberto Mancini slams Man City players
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini says his players must prove they have got "big balls" to play for the defending champions
Roberto Mancini says his Manchester City players must prove they have got “big balls” to play for the defending Premier League champions.
The Citizens manager was left fuming after his side produced an abject performance against struggling Southampton, losing 3-1 at St Mary’s on Saturday evening.
City’s latest defeat leaves them a staggering 12 points behind title rivals Manchester United, and Mancini was unhappy with his squad.
“When you play football and you are a top player, you should take your responsibility. Always. It’s not always the fault of the manager,” said Mancini.
“The players should take responsibility – if they have big balls. If not, they can’t play in a top team.”
Mancini pointed to the international friendlies on Wednesday as a factor in City’s loss, also hinting the Citizens are paying for their failure to sufficiently strengthen in the summer.
“I think we had big problems because we had 15 players who came back Thursday night and Friday from Qatar, Chile, from everywhere. This was the big problem this week,” he added.
“In the end, we did a really bad performance, and for this I’m disappointed.
“We can lose if a team plays better than us. That’s normal. But not like this.
“For a team like us which has won the title, the FA Cup, won the Charity Shield after 38 years, its normal the year after as champions could be difficult.
“But probably because we did some mistakes in the summer and we didn’t improve our team probably But now we have good players and I think we shouldn’t lose a match like this.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Liverpool suffer Bakkali setback
- VIDEO: Van Persie takes ice bucket challenge
- Robson: Man Utd don't need an overhaul
- Song takes ice bucket challenge, nominates Podolski
- Bilic: Besitkas out to spoil Arsenal plans