- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Photos: What Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger was up to on deadline day
- Parlour and more: Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
- Theo Walcott welcomes Arsenal signing Danny Welbeck to Gunners
I’m doing better than RVP! Giroud happy with first season at Arsenal
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud believes he is doing better than Robin van Persie in his first season at The Emirates
Olivier Giroud believes he is doing better than former Arsenal striker Robin van Persie in his first season at The Emirates.
The France international has netted 14 times in all competitions for the Gunners, while also creating 11 goals for his Arsenal team-mates in a promising start to his north London career.
Meanwhile, Van Persie, who moved to Manchester United from Arsenal in a £24m deal in the summer, could only manage 10 goals in his first season at the Gunners.
“I don’t know a striker who isn’t interested in his statistics,” he said. “Since the start of the season I’ve got 14 goals and 11 assists.
“For a first season it’s better than Van Persie when he started, even though he was younger. When I arrived at Arsenal, there were some worries.
“But they were quickly sorted and now the Arsenal players understand if they play off me they can score.”
The 26-year-old was a second-half substitute in France’s 2-1 loss to Germany on Wednesday night.
And Giroud hopes that he can become a first-team regular for Les Bleus if he continues to impress at Arsenal.
“I’m not quite a first-team regular. I don’t want to be lacking in ambition, but I’m realistic,” he added.
“I know that there’s a hierarchy in the French national side. Of course, you prefer being in the starting XI.
“Flourishing at a big club like Arsenal, earning my place in the side, is going to give me more credibility in the national team and allow me to let myself go a little more.
“I want to contribute if I’m called upon.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Redknapp: Falcao will fire Man Utd into top four
- Smith: Welbeck only wanted Arsenal move
- PHOTO: Wilshere and Hart all smiles
- Madrid already missing Alonso & Di Maria
- Mertesacker: Arsenal's Chambers has everything