- Photo: Mario Balotelli pays tribute to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard
- Transfer round-up: Arsenal to sign £21m Carvalho, Man Utd in Vidal talks
- Parlour, Lineker and more: Twitter reacts as Leicester hold Arsenal
- Man Utd transfers: Neville wants centre-half after Falcao signing
- Arsenal dealt Radamel Falcao blow after striker ‘deletes Real Madrid tweet’
- Photo: Luis Suárez gives Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard Barca shirt
Sir Alex: I’m surprised Man Utd’s Jones isn’t in England squad
Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United's Phil Jones should be in Roy Hodgson's England squad - not the Under-21 set-up
Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he was surprised Manchester United defender Phil Jones was not included in England’s squad for next week’s friendly against Brazil.
The 20-year-old has five England caps and was part of Roy Hodgson’s 23-man travelling party for Euro 2012, but the youngster has not been called up for next weekend’s Wembley fixture.
Instead, Jones will join Stuart Pearce’s Under-21 side for their match against Sweden, with reports suggesting Ferguson was furious with the decision.
However, the 71-year-old rubbished these claims, and instead, the United manager says that he can understand Pearce’s view point.
“I haven’t paid much attention to it,” said Ferguson. “I’m surprised he’s in the Under-21s and not the full squad.
“I think it’s happened quite a few times to players [being dropped back to Under-21s]. Is it understandable to the players? That can be the difficult thing to manage. The players, once they’re in the full squad, think they’ve achieved that – he’s played for the full squad.
“If they then take a step back, it can be hard to manage that. But he’s 20 years of age and Stuart Pearce wants to pick as good an Under-21 squad as he can get. And that includes players like Phil Jones.”◀ The Sport Review homepageNext story ►
Join us on Facebook
- Twitter reacts as Arsenal close in on Welbeck
- Owen: Falcao is signing of the summer
- Is Falcao the signing Man Utd need?
- Falcao is top buy, declares Ronaldo
- PHOTO: Arsenal & Liverpool stars go to the cinema